We respect your privacy, but can give you a better site if you allow cookies. Allow What are cookies?

Merchant Navy Officers Pension Fund

Complaints and dispute resolution

Find out what to do if you wish to make a complaint.

The MNOPF Trustee Board aims to provide you with the highest standards of service, but there may be times when you, or your beneficiaries, are unhappy about something. Most queries can be sorted out informally, by contacting myMNOPFpension. If, however, you are not happy with the response, or you are dissatisfied with the way it has been handled, you should write, in the first instance, to the person at myMNOPFpension who has been dealing with your case, saying why you are not happy with the way in which your case has been handled.

Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP)

The procedure is divided into two stages. The decision at the first stage is made by the Fund Secretary. If you are not happy with the result of that decision you can go to the second stage where the decision is made by the Trustee.

Stage 1

If, after writing to myMNOPFpension, you are not happy with the reply and wish to take the matter further, you should ask for a Stage 1 Dispute Resolution Application Form from:

Maclaren House
Talbot Road
Manchester, M32 0FP

You should complete the form and send it to the above address.

You will be advised when the form has arrived and may be asked for any further facts, if required. Once all the facts have been obtained that are needed to deal with your complaint, you will receive a reply. In most cases you will receive a decision about your complaint within two months from the date the form is received. If this is not possible (for example, if more information is needed from you in order to investigate the complaint), you will be notified within the two month period of the reason for the delay and the expected date of the decision.

In certain circumstances, the Fund Secretary may decide that the issue you have raised is one which should be considered by the Trustee directly. If so, you will be informed of this and advised when you can expect a reply. You will then enter Stage 2 of the Procedure.

Stage 2

If the Fund Secretary has not referred your case to the Trustee and you are not happy with the Stage 1 reply, you can ask for your complaint to be considered by the Trustee. To do this, you should write to MNOPF Trustees Limited, at the address above, requesting a Dispute Resolution Application Form (Stage 2). You should complete it as fully as possible and return it to the Fund Secretary within 6 months of the date you received the reply under Stage 1, at the following address:

MNOPF Trustees Limited
c/o Rock Pensions
Unit 43 Basepoint Business and Innovation Centre
Metcalf Way
West Sussex
RH11 7XX

You will be advised when the form has arrived. When the Trustee will be able to consider your case depends on the dates of its meetings, however you will be advised when this is likely to be.

Outside help

If your problem cannot be resolved by myMNOPFpension, your employer or the Trustee Board, you can at any time contact The Pensions Ombudsman.

The Pensions Ombudsman

You have the right to refer your complaint to the Pensions Ombudsman who may investigate and determine any complaint or dispute of fact or law in relation to the scheme.

The Pensions Ombudsman can be contacted at:

The Pensions Ombudsman
10 South Colonnade,
Canary Wharf,
E14 4PU
Telephone: 0800 917 4487
Email: enquiries@pensions-ombudsman.org.uk